Chronology of Events relating to the Bella Street Pumphouse
Chronology of Events
1884 The government decided that a subsidy not exceeding $50,000.00 be granted towards the erection of machinery to exploit the Thames low levels.
1886 Feb. Thames-Hauraki Goldfields Co. Ltd. floated in London. Capital $600,000.00 of which shares totalling $360,000.00 issued to the public. Float was oversubscribed.
1886 April Contractors commenced to strip, enlarge and re-timber the Queen of Beauty shaft.
1896 Nov. Sandycroft Foundry & Engineering Works UK dispatched first shipment of machinery
1897 Jan. Machinery arrived in Auckland per SS Pakeha, SS Indrohiri, and SS Tokomaru.
1897 March Construction of the chimney stack commenced.
1897 Sept. Messes Price Bros. completed assembly of the tenth and final boiler.
1897 Oct. 38 tons of machinery arrived.
1898 Oct. A trial run of the machinery was made. Only 3 boilers used. No water pumped.
1898 Dec.7 Premier Rt. Hon R J Seddon and others visited. The plant was set in motion.
1898 Dec 19 Hon. A J Cadman, Minister of Mines, officially opened the pumphouse.
1900 Thames-Hauraki Company taken over by the Standard Exploration Co.
1902-1907 Under protection.
1908 Connection made with a crosscut from Queen of Beauty shaft 244m below the surface to May Queen shaft to improve ventilation in both workings.
1909 Government subsidy to the May Queen Quartz-mining Co. To assist in deepening the Queen of Beauty shaft to 310m.
1909 May Queen Goldmining Co. Drove towards their ground at 305m level of the Queen of Beauty Shaft.
1910 Thames Deep Level Crosscut commenced at 305m level of Queen of Beauty shaft.
1914 Oct. The Inspector of Mine ordered that the pumps cease operating due to the continued influx of gas from the Thames Deep Level Crosscut. An official of the Mines Department then took over control of the plant.
1918 Auction of plant and machinery ordered by the Mines Department.